Welcome to Calvary Chapel, a non-denominational Christian church in Gainesville, Florida. As you become acquainted with our website, I’d like to share with you the heartbeat and foundation of this fellowship.
Above all, Jesus Christ is the Head and Chief Shepherd of this body of believers. We acknowledge Him as Lord, and place Christ at the center of every ministry. Our desire is that He gets all the glory, and that His name is exalted in all that we do.
Furthermore, we believe the Bible is the inerrant, infallible, and inspired word of God; therefore, it is the standard by which we live. The cornerstone of all ministry is the word of God.
Finally, as you join us, I sincerely hope that you may know the unconditional love of Christ, and the goodness of His grace, as we worship Him and minister one to another. It is my prayer that you grow closer to the Lord Jesus Christ and are edified in Him. Once again, welcome and God Bless.
In 1965, Pastor Chuck Smith started his ministry at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa. Beginning with a mere 25 people, he saw God bless his simple, yet consistent style of teaching straight through the Bible. With a genuine heart for the lost, Pastor Chuck made room in his ministry for a generation of hippies, surfers, and drug addicts. This generated a stirring of the Holy Spirit, which spread from the California coast to the Atlantic and beyond. This movement was instrumental in bringing thousands of young people to Jesus Christ during the 60s and 70s in what was known as the Jesus People Movement. Today, Calvary Chapel has grown to over 1,500 churches worldwide.
Calvary Chapel Gainesville was founded by Pastor Ted Meilleur in 1995. Sent out from Calvary Chapel Merritt Island, Pastor Ted with his wife Jane laid the foundations, principles, and vision of the fellowship faithfully ministering to the body and teaching them through the scriptures. In 2011 Pastor Ted passed over the fellowship to then Assistant Pastor Rob Sullivan to focus his ministry on world missions. Pastor Rob with his wife Micheline, have been ministering in various ways at Calvary Chapel Gainesville since 2003. Pastor Rob currently serves as Senior Pastor continuing the work and vision of the Calvary Chapel Movement: Loving, serving, and teaching the church through the living and powerful word of God.
The Calvary Chapel Non-denominational Church has been formed as a fellowship of believers in the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Our supreme desire is to know Christ and be conformed into His image by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, authoritative, and the inerrant Word of God. Isaiah 28:13, Nehemiah 8:8, John 17:17, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Hebrews 4:12, 1 Peter 1:23-25, 2 Peter 1:3-4 and 1:21
- We believe that there is one living and true GOD, eternally existing in three persons: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, equal in power and glory; that this triune God created all, upholds all, and governs all things. Genesis 1:1, Deuteronomy 6:4, Isaiah 44:8 and 48:16, Matthew 28:19-20, John 10:30, Hebrews 1:3
- We believe that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully human, that He was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, provided for the atonement of our sins by His death on the Cross, was bodily resurrected by the power of the Holy Spirit, ascended back to the right hand of God the Father, now ever lives to make intercession for us. Isaiah 7:14, Micah 5:2, Matthew 1:23, Mark 16:19, Luke 1:34-35, John 1:1-2, 8:58 and 11:25, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, 1 Timothy 3:16, Hebrews 1:8, 1 John 1:2, Revelation 1:8
- We believe that all people are, by nature, separated from God and responsible for their own sin, but that salvation, redemption, and forgiveness are freely offered to all by the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ. When a person repents of sin and accepts Jesus Christ as personal Savior and Lord, trusting Him to save, that person is immediately born again and sealed by the Holy Spirit, all his/her sins are forgiven, and that person becomes a child of God, destined to spend eternity with the Lord. John 3:16-19 and 5:24-29, Romans 3:23, 5:8-10, 6:22-23 and Romans 10:9, Ephesians 2:1-10, Titus 3:5
- We believe the Holy Spirit indwells every believer in Jesus Christ to enable him/her to live a godly life. John 14:16-17 and 16:8-11, Romans 8:13-14, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit and in the exercise of all Biblical gifts of the Spirit according to the instructions given to us in the scriptures. We as believers are to covet the best gifts, seeking to exercise them in love that the whole Body of Christ might be edified. We believe that love is more important than the most spectacular gifts, and without this love all exercise of spiritual gifts is worthless. 1 Corinthians 12-14
- We believe that we as Christians are examples of the love of God in this world. It is this (agape) love that we desire to possess and without which we have no right to call ourselves Christians. 1 John 4:16-17
- We believe in the Pre-Tribulation Rapture of the Church where all believers will meet the Lord Jesus in the air and be taken out of this world prior to the Tribulation that will come upon the earth. At the end of the Tribulation He will personally and visibly return with His church to earth and establish His millennial kingdom. Isaiah 26:20; Matthew 16:27 and 24:29-31; Luke 21:36; Acts 1:11; Romans 1:18, 5:9; 1 Thessalonians 1:10, 4:13-16 and 5:9; 2 Peter 2:7-9; Revelation 3:10, 5:7-10, 7:13-14, 19:11-16 and 20:11-15
Calvary Chapel is a Christ-centered, non-denominational, Bible teaching church open to all who desire a relationship with God. If you don’t know Him, we pray you will enter into a personal relationship with the Living God. If you do know Him, we pray you are encouraged in your walk, and that you grow in the relationship with Him.
What shoud I expect when I arrive?
Upon arrival, our team of greeters will be happy to help answer any questions you might have. We encourage you to take opportunity to enjoy refreshments and fellowship with others in our café before and after services. Our church service begins with a time of contemporary-styled, Christ-centered worship. Pastor Rob will then share a message from the Bible teaching verse-by-verse, chapter-by-chapter, and book-by-book through the full counsel of God’s Word. Whether you’ve never read the Bible before, or you’re an avid student, we believe you will be encouraged and challenged in your faith. We encourage you to bring a Bible to follow along. If you do not have one, our ushers are able to provide one for you. Services are about an hour and half long.
Is there certain attire I should wear?
There is no dress code. The clothes you wear to church are not an issue, so dress as comfortably as you like. We simply desire to honor the Lord with modesty in our dress. Most people at our church typically dress casual, although some choose to dress more formally.
I’d love a copy of the message!
Following the service, teachings are available to purchase in our media room in CD and mp3 format. You can also listen to our teachings online by visiting our media archive.
Do you provide any care for children?
For all of our weekly services, children’s care is provided for infants – 6th graders. City 365, our children’s ministry is carefully designed to provide a safe, enjoyable, and engaging environment for your children to learn at the level of their understanding. Check-in for your children begins 15 minutes prior to each service. A greeter will be happy to direct you to our children’s ministry meeting rooms. For parents of infants, we provide a nursing mother’s room.
For more information about our Children’s ministry visit our City 365 page.
All of the services at Calvary Chapel center on teaching the Bible, fellowship, worship and prayer.
Because we study God’s word you can expect to be spoken to by the Lord.
Because we fellowship you can expect to be encouraged through God’s people.
Because we worship you can expect to sense the presence of the Lord.
Because we pray you can expect God to be at work in your life.